Monday, September 24, 2012

A vintage cabinet for all my cookbooks.

I don't know about you but I am in love with Cookbooks.  I love old cookbooks, the older the better.  I noticed a long while back that if you purchase a new cook book the recipes have ingredients like " 1 can of Campbell's cream mushroom soup"  I don't so much have a problem with the soup as I do with wanting to know how to make the dish completely from scratch.  You see, I get in these weird moods and want to make silly things like saltine crackers, marshmallows etc...  and I want to do it completely from scratch. Anyway this post isn't about my love for cooking as much as it is about my love for an uncluttered life!

My collection of cookbooks have been on a bakers rack in a corner of my kitchen.  I'd look at that bakers rack and think to myself how cluttered it looks right in view for everyone to see!  I have been on the look out for a bookcase with doors, something that would fit in that same spot but not look so messy.  I FOUND IT!  The perfect cabinet for my cookbooks.  This piece looks like it was made for cookbooks; the way the little door pulls down for you to lay a book on.  I can't say for sure what it's original intention was but now it is for my cookbooks.

I should have taken a "before" picture, but I didn't.  The cabinet was so ugly; had so many coats of yellowed paint on it.  The hardware was all painted, yuck!  It took me two days to complete.  I had to strip it, sand it and clean all the hardware of years of dirt and paint before I could prime and repaint it.  I thought I might die out in the heat while trying to get this cabinet finished.  As I was working on it I thought why do I put myself through this torcher!  Anyway it is complete, all my books fit and there is even room for more!  I love the way it turned out and now that little corner of my kitchen is tidy and neat, just the way I like it.


























No comments:

Post a Comment