Monday, November 21, 2011

Chocolate Covered Coconut candies


I'm going to share my most secret recipe :0)   it is also my favorite. When I make these everyone always says how did you get the chocolate so yummy creamy.... I adapted these from my hubby's favorite chocolate cereal treat...kind of like what we make with rice krispies but with chocolate and a different "cereal" coconut...yummy!

Chocolate covered coconut....

1 large bag coconut
3-4 large bars of Hershey's Symphony chocolate bars

Toast coconut in the oven at about 380 till toasted well but not burnt
Meanwhile melt the chocolate bars in the microwave in 30 second intervals until melted, being careful not to burn.

Stir the coconut into the melted chocolate and coat well. The more chocolate you use the more like those expensive russell stover coconut clusters. Using 1 less bar gives them more texture and more fun to eat.

In the picture I used 3 bars to make them spiky looking. I also use three bars if I'm going to make those Bird nests that you can only get at Easter time with the 3 tiny jelly beans in them...yummy.

Note: If using less chocolate to get the birds nest look they will hold together better if kept in the fridge. If making the candy type to be more like the Russell Stover Coconut Clusters then you will need to crunch up the coconut to be smaller pieces and use more chocolate, (at least one more bar) then place them in the fridge to firm up. Then you can box them up like the retailers do, placing paper in between each layer in the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment