Saturday, March 27, 2021

Handywoman shop will be closed for the Month of April

 It's tax time again and because I never have time to work on accounting while open for business I need to shut shop to get them done.  Super sorry for the inconvenience.  

Monday, March 15, 2021

New Double bobbin Pencil / End of warp shuttle

This new shuttle is ready for two bobbins with a split rod so filling either bobbin is easy.  No need to take out both bobbins to change just one.  These shuttles are 12" long x 1" wide x 1" deep.  They are perfect for the end of warp when you are trying to have the least amount of waste as possible.  These shuttle will be made using more expensive exotic woods but if you'd like one in another type of wood message me and I'll see if I can find the stock to make it for you.  The Pencil shuttle takes 6" paper quills and 1 comes with this shuttle.  Each shuttle is sanded 5 times with different grades of sand paper and buffed with a finish 2 times. 

Friday, January 1, 2021

New 19th Century reproduction backstrap loom table

This is the proto type of a new backstrap loom I'll be offering. It is a loosely adapted reproduction of a 19 century loom. The loom I'll be offering completely breaks down. The legs and top parts come completely off for ease of storage and travel to re-enactment locations. The heddle can be ordered with any configuration you wish. Such as standard hole/slot pattern, double hole pattern or one of many pick up pattern heddle. You will also be able to order different heddle for your loom making it a great loom to grow your skills. 🙂 This one looks slightly different then what will be soon available. This one is just a prototype and the legs do not come off and the heddle slightly shorter. The top parts do come off of this loom. The heddle can also be ordered plain (single hole/ slot pattern) for re-enactments if desired. This one doesn't have a finish yet. I may offer the prototype as seen here but with a finish for sale depending on if I can get a box for it and what shipping costs would be to ship with attached legs. The box would need to be large so the shipping would be more.

Friday, November 6, 2020

New Box looms available

The year is winding down finally.  I say finally because I found 2020 to be the worst year I've ever seen in my life.  The election is still looming and I'm guessing it will be weeks or even months before we find out who won.  But I am hopeful :)
Also I want to remind you, as has been the case for the last couple years Handywoman shop will be closed before Thanksgiving (this year on Nov. 13) and reopen January 2nd.  This is for many reasons but the most important is that I, like you want to spend time with my family and friends and have the time to cook and enjoy the holidays.  I will try very hard not to work more than I rest.... I try each time and so far that has not happened.  I will try again.... :) 
If you need something for a Christmas gift from my shop you do not have much more time to get it.  I've posted a couple places about this so I hope all that would need to know has seen it.  

Here is the last box loom I'll make in 2020 and it is available.  I hope you enjoy watching my little video and love this little loom as much as I do.

I hope you have the best Thanksgiving and a very Merry Christmas,  I hope the new year brings you much joy and happiness.

God bless you all,

And here is a walnut version that is also available.

Friday, May 29, 2020

Passementerie gimp braid weaving shuttles

Have you ever heard of Passementerie gimp braid weaving and tassel making? I never had until the other day. A woman contacted me telling me she was in Hospice care but wanted to learn how to make a gimp braid and one tassel before she goes on to see the Lord. She send me a few pictures and of course I'm always up for a challenge to make a new weaving tool and if I can help a fellow weaver then I'm all in. I never even thought about how those beautiful trims were made until then. Trying to find information about this weaving and tassel making is rather hard. Not much info out there but I guess there are weavers teaching this art. It's amazing to me.

Anyway here is a video on how the art is still done today. The shuttles they are using (single bobbin) I will also be making but that will come later. Enjoy the video and have a look at the shuttles I made. I will be making them but the scripture will not come on them of course. That was just something I decided to add. You are welcome to request engraving. There is a listing to add engraving to most any Handywoman weaving tool.