1 Cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup + 1 tblsp salted real butter
3 tblsp ice cold water
Place the flour and butter in a food processor and pulse till looks like peas. Add the water and continue pulsing till dough comes together a bit. Pour into a plastic baggy and shape into a ball and flatten the ball. Place in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Roll out dough into a circle 2 inches larger than your pie pan. Place in pie pan and crimp edges as desired. Prick the bottom and sides of the pie dough and place in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Place in your preheated oven and cook for 10-12 minutes, watching so that it doesn't burn.
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 tblsp all purpose flour
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups water
4 egg yolks lightly beaten
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tblsp grated lemon peel
1 tbslp butter
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
1. prepare and bake flaky pastry; cool completely before filling.
2. Make lemon filling: In medium saucepan, combine cornstarch, flour, sugar and salt, mixing well. Gradually add 2 cups water, stirring until smooth.
3. Over medium hear, bring to boiling, stirring occasionally; boil for 1 minute.
4. Remove from heat. Quickly stir some of the hot mixture into the egg yolks. Return to hot mixture; stirring quickly to blend and not to scramble the eggs.
5. Return to heat; cook over low heat 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice, lemon peel and butter. Pour into cooled pie shell.
Make the Meringue
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
7. In medium bowl, with portable electric mixer at medium speed, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy.
8. Gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating after each addition. Then beat at high speed until stiff peaks form when beaters are slowly raised.
9. Spread meringue over lemon filling, carefully sealing to the edge of the crust and swirl the top decoratively.
10. Bake 7-9 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Let pie cool completely on wire rack 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Serves 8
Refrigerate left overs