Friday, May 24, 2013

Black Bean Hummus

So if you love hummus as much as I do you are going to love the fact that you can use all kinds of things to make it.  Any bean, roasted egg plant and I'm sure you can think of other ways to make hummus.  My favorite way to make hummus is with cannellini beans, but then I tried black beans and well now I'm not sure which bean is my favorite.  I start always with organic supplies so I do get organic black beans for this recipe.  You must try making it yourself.  So much better than store bought I promise you.  Now when you are using your food processor to mix this us and make it creamy, if you find that it is lumping and the mixture isn't freely going around and around in the processor then by all means add a little more olive oil...just a little more at a time...you can always add more but trying to take it out once you've added it, well that is impossible.  So here's the recipe:

1 regular size can of organic black beans (no flavors added) rinsed well!
1/4 cup a good olive oil
1/4 cup Tahini (this is a must for the best flavor)
3 cloves of garlic chopped or minced well
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp thyme (not ground) fresh is best if you have it use 3/4 tsp for fresh
Pita chips, pretzel chips, pita bread or whatever turns you on!

Put all the ingredients into a food processor starting with the beans.  Process by pulsing your processor on and off for about 3-5 minutes.  If it looks dry or isn't going round and round add a little more oil.  The mixer should be thick but not dry.
Enjoy!

2 comments: