Friday, February 15, 2013

Slab Pie....

I'm in the process of making a slab pie for my wonderful husband.... raspberry rhubarb. He's been asking for a rhubarb pie for sometime now.

I had never heard of a slab pie before and then I found this recipe for one in an old magazine I had laying around.  It is a cross between a cake and a pie if that makes any sense to you at all.

Looking at the pictures for some reason took me back in time to when I was a little girl (really it wasn't THAT long ago).  Back then it always seemed that someone was serving pie or cake or even cookies.  I loved the sweet comfort food of those days when I didn't have to think to myself "should I eat this...the calories".  I sure miss those unpretentious days, not that I worry too much about it today because if I did I'd certainly not be over weight.

Anyway, I'll post the recipe and a picture later today if all goes as planned.  
UPDATE:  The slab pie was a beautiful combination of sweet and tart.  I did add a couple tablespoons of fresh lemon juice to this recipe.

Raspberry Rhubarb Slab Pie
3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup 2% milk
1 egg yolk
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
5 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened raspberries thawed and drained (I got them at kroger)
3 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed and drained

Vanilla Icing
1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5 to 6 tsp 2% milk

1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. (I used a food processor for the crust)
Whisk 3/4 cup milk and egg yolk; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with fork until dough forms a ball. Add additional milk 1 tbsp. at a time if necessary.
2. Divide dough in half so that one portion is slightly larger than the other; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
3. Roll out larger portion of dough between two large sheets of lightly floured waxed paper (cut paper the size of your pan so that you get the perfect fit) into the size of your pan. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of your pan; trim pastry to 1/2 inch above edges of pan.
4. In a large bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add raspberries and rhubarb; toss together to coat. Spoon onto pastry.
5. Roll out remaining dough, place over filling. Fold bottom pastry over edge of top pastry; seal with a fork. Prick top with a fork.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack.
7. For icing, combine confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a drizzling consistency; drizzle over pie. Cut pie into squares.
Note: If using frozen rhubarb and raspberries measure them while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.

This picture doesn't have the vanilla icing yet cause the pie is too hot but you get the idea I think.

2 comments:

  1. Okay it looks tasty but I've never ate Rhubbarb anything... How'd it taste?

    That simple life was just a few days ago wasn't it ? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes a few day's ago! :)
    It is okay, it's something my husband grew up eating (without the addition of the raspberries) It definitely needed the raspberries and all the sugar required. It to me, doesn't smell very good cooking but surprisingly it doesn't taste like it smells (thank God) I sent half of it to my neighbors and I froze the rest in individual servings so we can grab a piece anytime we please..:)

    ReplyDelete