Monday, August 12, 2013

The Free Motion Quilting Project

I found this blog a couple years ago.  I was looking for instruction on how to free motion quilt.  I had tried so many times to do my own quilting that was not "quilting in the ditch" because that is so boring!  My machine no mater what I did would not do a good job.  The front of the quilt always looked okay but the back always looked like a bunch of chicken scratch!  I could not get the tension right no mater what I did.  Then I found this blog and it told me to leave the feed dogs up and to change the stitch length to zero!  Everyone I talked to tried to talk me out of this and said I just need to figure out my tension on my machine.  Well I tried it anyway and what do you think happened?????  I was free motion quilting and the back side looked as good as the front!  I was so over the top excited, I told people about it and some still insisted what I was doing was not correct.  You know what...I don't care.  I am free motion quilting like a champ!
So I wanted to share this blog with you all so that if you are having the same issue I did you will now be able to free motion quilt like a champ too.
Here is where to get started http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/p/start-here.html
Here is a video on how to set up your machine etc....
Here is the page where you will find 365 free motion quilting designs to practice with:
http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/p/365-designs.html Here is a video on one of the 365 free motion quilting design tutorials...these are all free these are all awesome!:
How to hide quilting threads inside your quilt:
Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Oh! I'm gonna have to check this out on the quilt I need to quilt soon. I keep putting it off. I'll have to come have you teach me. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll enjoy it, I did and found it so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete