Saturday, March 2, 2013

Clever plant markers





Aren't these the cutest little plant markers!  I was searching the web for ideas and maybe even to make a purchase for some plant markers for a friend who purchased one of these raised flower bed from me.  She had posted on facebook a picture of her newly planted garden and gave a list of all the plants she planted into her new raised beds.  Since she is such a sweetie, and I really like her I thought I'd surprise her with some markers for each of her new plants.  I found some really cute ones made from vintage silverware that were stamped with a metal stamping tool.  Very cool, so I purchased them.  Then I just kept looking because there were so many cute one.  Ones that were made of clay and fired.  I thought I could make some of clay and fire them because I do have few kilns but then I found these.  Little tiny flower pots with copper hangers.  They were very expensive about 3.50 each and well I needed about 30...so I decided I could make these easily myself and I already had the copper wire.  I first tried to use the stained glass paint that you use in the oven but I didn't like the sheen...kind of dull, then I thought I could paint them with pottery paint and fire them and they would surely be water proof.  Well, in the end I just painted them with acrylics and sprayed a sealer on them.  I decided they were so cheap to make I can always remake or repaint these if they need it.
I used a black sharpie to write the herb name rather than hand painting the name on each one.  I think they are adorable!  The little pots were 1.99 for 6 at Hobby Lobby, I do not remember how much the copper wire was but I would guess about 6.99 and it took one roll and a small part of another.



This picture above is 3 of my now 7 gardens, but the reason for this picture is the little generator house.  It is right next to the shed.  I built that and it is now 4 years old and is still standing.  I never made a roof before and while this one is VERY steep...it is still a roof!  I might have to make some plans up for people.  I sure didn't want that big ole thing taking up room in my garage, I mean a girl needs all the room she can get in her workshop!

No comments:

Post a Comment